Thursday, February 24, 2011

Back splash

One of the first things we knew we wanted to update was the back splash. It just felt so dated. After further investigation Mike figured out that they had actually taken the different tiles that they had used all over the house and made this design. I have to give them credit for their creativity but it had to go. 

I had the idea right away that we could probably spray paint them to look like metal with that new spray paint from Kiltz. But I was not sure the paint would actually stick and that we wouldn't end up with a mess. We also considered using a Brummel tool and removing the tile and replacing it with something of similar size. The spray paint method sounded a lot easier. We had some extra tile in the garage so I did a test on it and found that using spray paint alone, once it cured (dried  for a few days) was not easy to scratch but if you worked on it a bit it did scratch. But, if you sprayed a primer then the metal spray paint it was a very hard surface.
So I got to work. I first taped off the square to be painted.

Then I taped a large garbage sack up to avoid any over spray. I put one coat of primer on, let it dry for at least 10 min. Then put one coat of spray paint, let it dry for 10 min and then followed up with a second coat of spray paint.
And here is the final product

spray paint party


  1. I like it, good job.

    Did you used a "normal" spray paint or something specific for it.

  2. Love it! Looks much better, good thinking on your part! :)