I had the idea right away that we could probably spray paint them to look like metal with that new spray paint from Kiltz. But I was not sure the paint would actually stick and that we wouldn't end up with a mess. We also considered using a Brummel tool and removing the tile and replacing it with something of similar size. The spray paint method sounded a lot easier. We had some extra tile in the garage so I did a test on it and found that using spray paint alone, once it cured (dried for a few days) was not easy to scratch but if you worked on it a bit it did scratch. But, if you sprayed a primer then the metal spray paint it was a very hard surface.
So I got to work. I first taped off the square to be painted.
And here is the final product